First (wild) flat tyre experience, in the Baja Desert

It was never going to happen somewhere less hostile was it?

Well, actually the first time it did - in a little Peruvian town, and that was an easy fix, as is normally in any town in the world.

But here?


So im 70km north of La Paz in the desert proper, like cacti and rocky ground and views for miles.

Bike starts feeling funny, and I'm thinking

 'No - surely not, here? Really? Like - how even?'

But yes, it was true - having pulled over n checked rear (isnt it always the rear?).

'Hmmm, how we gonna deal with this?'

*assesses options

A - flag a pick-up ute down (its kinda lonely out here)
B - change it here in the hot desert sun in a sandy lay-by
C - use my phone's GPSer to locate the nearest SOMEWHERE, go there, change tyre, maybe have help.

C quickly prevailed and the nearest somewhere was 
a restaurant 2km further up. 

Lucky me.


So rode with a wobbling wibbling bike a further 2km and long story now short. . 

Found 2 men called Jose (coincidence?) who, with their help, we fixed the tyre in their yard under shade. It was super funny and I was so lucky!


The two Jose's were brothers, one had a son called Jose and then another Jose turned up for the photo at the end!

I may have been there an hour and a half. After wede fixed it up I called by a Llantara (tyre shop) 35km further up the road to have him check it and also fix my tyre gauge and patch my old tube, 30ps later I'm on my way again not believing what a fortunate experience I just had to find such lovely people who helped me without hesitation..

I do fully believe that if you are on a journey then the world will conspire to help you, and this was the perfect example. 

However you do have to be fully willing to be on each end of that sentiment too.

:-) 








Comments

  1. Glad to hear it got sorted without drama!
    Safe travels,
    Sean

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copper Canyon - Barrancas del Cobre - the long trip via pavement

Journey complete - a bittersweet ending in Canada

Overlanding Camping Lesson 101