Journey complete - a bittersweet ending in Canada

Well there you have it, my trip has reached the end of its chapter, all the way from Chile to Canada; 59, 500km through 13 countries over 20 months. That's a long time to spend in the saddle. Im having mixed feelings of course, looking back on all those incredible moments is quite overwhelming and difficult to assimilate.

Heres a few interesting stats from my trip:
  • 13 countries, 59,500km, 20 months;
  • 15 land border crossings and 1 sea border crossing;
  • 3 crashes, 0 broken bones, 0 ambulance rides, 0 emergency room visits, 0 illnesses
  • 4 times run out of fuel (including 2 police rescues);
  • 3 flat tyres;
  • 1 runover dog (Panama - so sorry doggo) and 2 bird impacts;
  • 0 breakdowns; although I did have some issues with a relay for a week, had to jump start a bit;
  • 1 police caution; 1 police tow (Argentina); 1 non-passable sit down road blockage (Peru on the major highway north to Quito); 0 hostile situations (obviously avoiding the sketchy areas i'm hearing about here and there);
  • 3 travel partners in Peru, Bolivia and the US; and 
  • 1 new language; 

And more specifically bike/kit related;
  • 250 tanks of gas;
  • 16 oil changes, 4 new rear tires, 4 new front tyres, 3 chain and sprocket sets, 2 rear drum brake shoes, 3 sets of front brake pads, 2 handlebars, 3 air filters, 2 sets of mirrors, 2 sets of hand guards, 2 relays, 2 re-jet adjustments for altitude (Andes and Rockies), 1 windshield (lasted a week), 2 helmets, 4 pairs of goggles, 1 handlebar pogies, 5 seat pads and 1 seat remodel;
  • 2 sets of riding gear, 3 sets of moto boots, 2 sets of luggage, 1 heated vest;
  • 2 tents and pads, 1 hammock;
  • 1 mobile phone;
  • 0 skid plates; this still makes me laugh - i just didnt seem to need one;
  • 0 new wheel bearings or valve adjustments;
  • 0 heated grips;
  • 0 GPS units;
  • 0 emergency call out devices;;
  • 0 touratech parts; and 
  • 0 sponsors.

The bike has gone into storage in Vancouver following a trip of 700km on the back of the ute from Quesnel, BC.

Im thinking of bringing it home to Australia next year and perhaps cruise down the east coast, but for now i'm going to sleep for a week, eat lentils and catch up on all the yoga i've put aside this summer.














And thanks for following; although I may look like I'm doing this completely alone, I genuinely don't feel like I am due to all the support I get through social media - which has always been there in the background right behind me from my family at home and my friends across the world. For that, I am thankful, along with all the new friendships I've made along the way, from people Ive had a nice chat with to people who have bent over backwards to help me. YOU know who you are!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copper Canyon - Barrancas del Cobre - the long trip via pavement

Overlanding Camping Lesson 101