Mexico's incredible 'Cartel Coast' through Michoacan

Riding south to north along the beautiful coastline here, this is easily the quietest 2 day ride throughout my Mexico trip so far. Just passing a handful of cars each day, is definitely my preference. Also, it was cooler the further around the coast I go which was surprisingly refreshing.

I'd stayed in the lovely fishing port of Zihuatanejo, Guerrara that night before (actually 2 as its so nice there).

What I couldn't quite believe was just how green it was along the coastline - there's a lot more water here than I've been seeing, and I've never seen so many mango trees in my life, generally farmed.  Papayas and coconut, and towards Colima State, banana trees also feature along this route, along with wide rivers and inland hills.

The road is awesome for the motorbike - good surface and twisty, especially on the bluffs where I was torn between zooming along and looking at the view.














I stopped for lunch at Barra de Nexpa (beach restaurant \ camp spot above) - following the signs for the Rio there's a surf spot called Chicos where I had the best mango smoothie I've had in my life - I had been passing the trees all morning so it seemed apt! Two below is the beach at Maruata from the clff tops - pretty desolated, so much so I had the whole hammocking spot to myself.






I'd heard some warnings about this coastline before (probably why its so beautiful here and quiet), although I had zero experience with even riding past anything abit untoward.

People are super friendly, as rural people generally are. I was even apologised to by the police at one stop they'de set up as they saw I had to take my helmet off to remove my ear plugs before I could speak with them! I saw a few well armed police piled in the back of pick ups but that's been the norm so far throughout Mexico.

This ride was similar to California's Route 1 north from San Fran, Mexico style, and I imagine it'l be one of my highlights.

Comments

  1. Hey, currently hitchhiking south along this stretch of coast. Was wondering about that hammock spot you bnb were at. Where was this, and Did you stay overnight?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Copper Canyon - Barrancas del Cobre - the long trip via pavement

Journey complete - a bittersweet ending in Canada

Overlanding Camping Lesson 101