1000km in and so far playas, jungles, ruinas, hills and local bikers


I'm currently in San Cristobal wishing I'd brought a Bluetooth keyboard for typing out on this kindle fire using as its pretty bad for tapping on.  Oh well first world problems eh.
Starting in Cancun I worked my way to Bacalar as I had to visit the Mexican Aduana at the border with Guatemala, then to Calakmul and Pelenque Mayan Ruins before heading off the flat hot sea level plain into the (far too cool) hills of San Chi's (2000m elevation). Here's a few snaps so far:
Playa Blanca, just a short half hr ride north of Cancun.
On the road in Yucatan... Long straight roads, pretty dull and hot as hell..
Bacalar where I stayed at the lovely Casa Carolina (run by a bastante loco German biker)
Camping in Valladolid, I actually slept here in my hammock and put my kit in the tent.
The mighty Chichen It Za..
The incredibly beautiful Cenote Oxman at Valladolid.. I got to sit for the last hour of opening in the water alone with the nibbling me and the swifts dipping in to the water all around me. Oh and there's a rope swing!
Here's the cheap way of carrying fuel.. A 1l bottle fresh out of the bin at the garage. I was a little concerned about my fuel range going to Calakmul (which is 120km return off the highway and a bit far on the destination side for the next fuel stop).
Calakmul bound.. Off the highway.. Howler monkeys in the morning woke about 5am so I had  super early start.. Necessary though due to the humidity and heat! Also the afternoon before the big jungle rains started (lucky me?) After a dry period of 3 months. I knew there was something afoot when All the monkeys disappeared from the campsite.
Top of one of the temples (you can't do this at Chichen It Za)
Free campsite at Camping Los Toucans (on the ioverlander app) about halfway to Pelenque
I stayed outside of the Town here in MayA (something) lodge & camping 300m before the Park Museum on the right.. Also on ioverlander..
Top of one of the temples, and my young Mayan guide Rubicel below. There a bunch of these guys hanging about outside the park entrance,they live in the surrounding villages of La Selva (the jungle) and if you're single then they are good choice as they charge 1\4 of a standard tour.. Plus i got to have a 3 hour Spanish lesson!


I met Kevin (the Canadian) in the campsite restaurant, he's riding solo too but heading South Alaska to Chile (www.world overland.ca or FB him on that page), yay biker buddies!
Arrival in San Cristobal, you may notice the 'helmets' the police are wearing..
I actually got lift here with the bike on the back of a local guy's (also met at the same Palenque campground) truck - a 1200 BWM GS rider who told me the roads are pretty slippy right now due to the new rains plus he was going that way anyway so I thought maybe in supposed to go with him.. It was a good decision as I've been hanging out with his biker club all week!
My new pals! We took a ride out to Laguna's de Colon at the Guatemalan border one day which was my first introduction to the Mexican idea of what a ride out is.... 360km return (on my little bike that's Big day!), 9hrs later returning after dark having ate (a lot) drank and swam.. Im certainly loving Mexico, they are super friendly here.. I know after 2 only weeks how hard it will be to leave.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Copper Canyon - Barrancas del Cobre - the long trip via pavement

Journey complete - a bittersweet ending in Canada

Overlanding Camping Lesson 101